My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer. But even from the points of view of many who have enjoyed my story, there is much that fails to please. It is perhaps not possible in a long tale to please everybody at all points, or to displease everybody at the same points; for I find from the letters that I have received that the passages or chapters that are to some a blemish are all by others specially approved.” J.R.R. Tolkien

I was sent this quote today, and it made me smile so I figured I would share it with you.  


I admit I'm guilty of checking for reviews/ratings on my book.   I'm still a young writer and I love to see what people think of my adventure stories.  As with anyone who is starting on a new endevour, I want to see if people like what I am doing, whether they've enjoyed my work. 


On the occasion that someone didn't  care for my book (and I'm happy to report it is in the minority).  I used to go through a cycle.  First I feel bad that they didn't, then I wondered what it was that they didn't like and could I have done something better, after those thoughts would sit for awhile I would start to question whether or not my writing skills were as good as I thought they were.   However, thankful for my simpleness, it only takes one person to give positive feedback and it sends my heart soaring (I love to read the comments and see the ratings that show someone really enjoyed the story I wrote), making it much easier to handle not pleasing whoever didn't like my story. 

With what I've learned in my life, I understand that not everyone is going to like what or how I write.  I love honesty and constructive critizism, and I respect other peoples opinions.  It helps me with my number one challenge: sitting back and remembering you cannot please everyone - I am still a work in progress.  Some days it is difficult to rationalize in my head that I can't make everyone happy, but slowly I'm getting there. 


So, for those of you whose path is similar to mine, you are the reason I copied this quote.  It sums up the truth about writing (as to be expected from such an infamous writer).  As for me, I'm going to stick the quote near my writing to use as a shield for the self-doubt that tries to sneak its way into my mind.

No comments: