My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wanting to get to the library

Wow, this month is really cutting into my writing time.  I have been unable to get to the library.  There have been snow days (which I love because I get to hang out with my kids), cold days (sub-zero), and busy days.  This week though  I was stuck in bed for an entire day and not because I wanted to be there.  My joints hurt, I wasn't hungry, I hadn't the energy to do anything.  In fact it was so bad that the "voices in my head" had become silent.   Silent for two complete days.  It's kind of crazy, but I didn't like not having my brain thinking about a book I was working on.  We joke at home about me hearing voices.  I always have three or four stories that my brain is thinking about.  When I was asked about how I keep the stories separated I replied they're all very different.  It's like how I don't get my friends, kids, or peers' lives confused.   So they all have a different "voice"?  I again replied of course they do, and their own worlds with their own pasts and realities.  In good humor, I was told it isn't normal to hear voices in your head.  I laughed, of course.  Normal is boring.    However I must admit that I had not realized how normal it had become to constantly be thinking about the next character, the next twist, the next adventure until they weren't there.  The second day, I was still achy and not hungry, but not being able to brainstorm ideas was a horrible experience.  I was actually trying to jump start the thoughts, but to no avail.  A very unsettling moment for me.   The third day, I woke up both hungry and brainstorming!  I thought ahh, now this feels good.  My body wasn't up to going to the library, but at least my spirits were good.  And that is half the battle to feeling better.   With all this being said I still haven't done much of anything productive, but I'm not upset about that because the ideas are flowing.

You'll be happy to hear that the loudest ones are those surrounding the The Shadow Dragon book 3!  I really can't wait to pull all the details together so that I can share them with you.   I have five manuscripts in my backpack waiting to go to the library so that I can fix the revisions (so missing my computer right now) and keep moving on.  I have also handed Story13 off two of my editors.  My mom finished typing up my handwritten manuscript for story 14 (20,500 words), and I have read through it.  It needs a lot of work but for it being my first draft and having been handwritten (which as I think I've said already, is not fast enough for my creative mind) I am impressed with what is there.  I also had a thought for my Story 3 that may make it possible to e-publish, but I have to get to the library to see if it will work.  I have one section of that story almost finished (I read through it and made very few revisions/edits - yeah!)  Although I can't make that section a book one.  I mean I could - I was actually going to - but as a reader I wouldn't like it.  And if I wouldn't like it, then I'm definitely not going to try and sell anyone on it. 

Well that's what's been going on.  I hope to get back to the library soon and put in some serious hours on my stories and get things moving again.

No comments: