My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What to do...

Okay so I  thought I had it all figured out.   Then I sat down and I don't know where I want to start.  What am I talking about?  My mother wanted to refresh her typing skills and offered to type up Story 14 for me.  I was a little reluctant because I need to learn to read and type.  However it was a really slow process that was not leaving me with a feeling of accomplishment.  Plus, I realized that with her typing it up for me, I would have time to work on another book.  I was very excited at the prospect.   Then I didn't know where to start.  I sat down and listed my books and was sad to see that out of 14 stories I had only published 4 of them.  (Reminder: When I say stories I mean story lines.  I have a total of 7 books published, but three of them belong to an already existing story line.)  I starred the published titles with a pout, feeling that I hadn't accomplished much.  4 of 14 seems rather dismal, which also made me feel that I finish nothing that I start.  That would not do.  I then put a line by the stories that are finished and ready to be edited.  That gave me three more stories.  Okay so now I'm half way.  7 of 14  Now those numbers are a little more reasonable.  Most of the incomplete stories are (by word count) almost novels, a couple are over 100,000 words already.  I also had to remind myself that it's not that the stories are a result of writers block, but it has been the lack of time to finish.  As you already know, once an idea grows in my mind I can only ignore it for so long before I have to write it.  I suppose this is when people who write outlines have an advantage over me.  Plus, I design and do my covers, minus three so far.  So before I came down to the library, I sat down and listed the Story #'s that I have written.  I included the Title(main characters when the story didn't have a title), how many books per title have been written (or are in the process of being written), and word count.  I must say that - in the almost 4years I've been writing - I am extremely impressed with myself.   Each story line is a completely different adventure.  A different place, a different time.  So far I think the only similarity is that each story is it is a sci-fi/fantasy adventure with a love story entwined into it.  Again, leaving me to marvel at just how amazing the mind really is.   Now, I'm going to get started on finishing one of those stories before I have to work on something else! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Other than the voices in my head, I think I’m pretty normal.” Tom Upton (author of Hellhounds: Freaky Jules)