My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Writing Alex

I see Alex so clearly in my head that I never questioned if I wrote him right or wrong.  Everything from his black hair and goatee to his confident demeanor to his kindness towards Sonia and her family.  Alex is known throughout Lord Vertas' land.  There is no one in the land whose skills with a sword rival his.   Even Lord Vertas has great respect for him.  So much so that Alex is able to persuade him from killing Sonia's father.

I love Alex for his skills, his patience with Sonia, his ease at dealing with people, his desire for Sonia to become the best swordsman she can, and his wisdom.  One of my favorite interactions between him and Sonia is when he is practicing with her.  He keeps her on her toes and pushes her to be her best, but continuously says "dead" when the bout is over.  Dead meaning she has lost, because if it had been a real fight, she would be dead.

After Sonia's encounter with the Ortal and orbs of fire, Alex notices things have changed.  It doesn't prevent him from helping her attain her goal, but the reality of what is going on becomes hard to ignore.  And the things that were hidden, and had gone unnoticed, begin to seep into their mentor/student relationship, changing the dynamic between them.  Just one more unexpected thing to add to what should have been a simple journey of getting Sonia to the Tournament.


No comments: