My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Sunday, October 21, 2018

A scene in "Solace: Lost" created by music

Opposite of my last post, this scene was truly inspired by music.  I wasn't struggling to write it, or need help.  In fact, I wasn't to this particular part of the story yet.  And when the idea came to mind, I wasn't sitting at my computer.   I was in my car driving to a spot I like to hike.  I was listening to one of the CD's that I made from my iTunes music, looking forward to my walk in the woods, watching the road (it was a dirt road and it had rained recently).   I wasn't even thinking about the story, but as the music started playing, my thoughts slid into what is known in the book as the Tamisa.  [The Tamisa is an event that happens on the (Zarran world) where the universe provides answers to the Zarran's questions that they have, to help them chose the right path, and help them see the person that is most important to them (their soulmate).] Everyone in the Zarran village gathers, those with questions or seeking their soulmate move to the center of those that have gathered,  and when the Tamisa begins, a rhythm is felt within each of them.  So here I am in my car and the song "Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre)", by Gotan Project, begins and this whole amazing image moves through my mind.

To my amazement, the song that played next on my CD continued the story.

In the space between one song ending and the other beginning the universe provides Karissa with the information that she yearns for, but before she can decide how to digest it, the moment is interrupted.  And this is when the next song begins: "Secrets", by One Republic.  The interruption brings reality back to Karissa and she runs from the Tamisa, refusing to acknowledge the truth she had been shown.  As the song, plays I can vividly see her running through the forest and falling with emotions I can feel: sadness, confusion, and frustration.   Jack finds her here, hoping to help Karissa accept what the universe has shown her.   She falls back on the one thing that has always protected her and unleashes it all on him, discovering something that can no longer be ignored.

I so want to share more about this scene, but I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't read "Solace".   It's a part of the story that I hope those who have read the books, love as much as I do.  😊


No comments: