My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Writing "Solace: Uncharted Territory"

Writing "Solace: Uncharted Territory" was the easiest story I have ever written.  I'm not sure why.  All I know is that it only took me a week and a half to write it from beginning to end (obviously not including the editing by other people).  And the only inspiration I had for this book was the desire to write as the bad guy and make the love story one that started out where the main characters wanted each other dead.  

There is no music to share for this book, (in "Solace: Lost" there was, but for "Uncharted Territory" no song in particular drove the story or a specific scene, I can't even recall if I listened to any music while writing this book.     

After writing the first couple of chapters, I do remember thinking what could possibly pull these two together.  She was ruthless, and he was the epitome of a hero.  Then the idea of the chain was born... having them bound together by an unbreakable chain that only the Tirrapps (umm... as Karissa explains to Jack the best translation for what they are is Pirates) that captured them know the secret of removing it.   How to get them into a situation where this would be allowed?  Well, writing that was fun for me.  Their reactions were tricky.  On one hand she has no desire to keep him alive, except she needs to bring him to Omatha - alive.  On the other hand, he wants her dead, but she is the only one who speaks his language, knows what their options are... and more importantly needs him alive.  And thus the story of Jack and Karissa is born.  

From the moment Karissa and Jack meet their lives become a tailspin of catalysimic events that change both of their lives, hurling them both into uncharted territory.    And for Karissa, that's saying something.  A lot has happened to her during her life, but she is stubborn and set in her ways.   The only change she was hoping for was to finally appease Omatha.  Jack's life changes differently than Karissa's.  He is not her, but nothing can remain the same when you've been taken from your world.




No comments: