My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Karissa

As I said earlier, I wrote this story with the decision that I wanted to write from the bad guy's perspective.  (This is the sixth story I started, and all my other stories are written with the main character as the "good guy".)  With that in mind, writing Karissa was a little bit difficult to start.  I had to keep going back and revising the way she dealt with things.  Karissa might have been difficult to start, but once I found the right path she flowed from my mind and I ended up with this amazing woman.  (I know I should say character, but it doesn't feel right.)  She is tough and driven.  And unfortunately for her enemies, she is smart, ruthless, and amazingly gifted in combat.   What drives her most, is her need for acknowledgement from Omatha that she isn't a failure.  

Karissa is a woman with numerous sisters (both older and younger), but it is with four of her older sisters that she must compete with for Omatha's nod of approval.  Four sisters who are remarkable in every way: Jazzia, Tania, Algeas, and of course, Sarsa (her biggest rival among the sisters).  Why do her sister's give her such difficulty?  Karissa believes her biggest flaw is that she does not have the looks of Omatha.  She is, as it is said in the first chapter, too symmetrical.  She is also short, the wrong shade of green, and her eyes are not purple.

In the first chapter (which you can read here or clicking the tab above for "Solace") you meet these four sisters, and you also get a glimpse at why Karissa is the way she is.  You also get to see how strong her will is, and how fearless she is.   She hates that she has been sent to Earth - sent there because of a failure on her sisters' part, which she isn't afraid to remind them of.  She has one task to do, and she must figure out how to accomplish the task and return to Omatha with something even better than what Sarsa will have.  

One would think that with her skills and intelligence this would be easy, but where's the story in that?  



No comments: