My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Sunday, June 10, 2018

How do you deal with writer's block?

How do I deal with writer's block?  (A very common question.)   I don't often consider myself with writer's block because there always so much going on in my head, but here's my best answer... okay answers.  

When I get stuck while working on a story, I go back to the beginning and read/revise what I've already written.  This usually solves the problem. 
Sometimes, it doesn't.  So I'll skip ahead to something I see more clearly. For example, in "Solace: Lost" I couldn't see a pivotal scene near the end, but I knew the ending so I skipped ahead and wrote what I knew was going to happen. Then I kept reading over what I had written until I had this awesome idea - music.  It ended up that I had to play some head-banging music (Godsmack, Drowning Pool, Disturbed, Rage Against the Machine...) to write the scene. 
A lot of times, I jump to a different story entirely and work on that until the voices for the previous book get "loud" enough for me to see what happens next. There have been times where I'd be working four other stories before I returned to the original one that I was stuck in.

No comments: