My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Writing "Not Human"

I woke up one morning vaguely remembering the last few moments of a dream.   It was the imagery from that dream that inspired my conscious thought for this book.  I would tell you about it, but the part I honed in on is the end of this story.  Even though the image was so vivid, I didn't start writing right away.  It seems to me that it was a week or two later.   As the story began to strengthen in my thoughts, it found inspiration from something I had read earlier in the year.  It was the first chapter of a book by another indie author.  The book was about Zombies - normally I would never have picked it up, zombies are not something I'm interested in, but I like checking out books by other Indie-authors.  I didn't read more than that one chapter, however what I read kind of stuck with me.  No there are no Zombies in "Not Human", like I said I have no interest in them...  Well, except "iZombie".  (That was a clever show, I don't know how I almost forgot about it.)   Anyways,  the scene in the book creeped me out a little - which was why I didn't read more than the one chapter.  However, it has become quite evident that just because I don't like something, doesn't mean my brain won't create an idea from it.  Which is what happened.  It took the scene, twisted and turned it until it came up with its own scene helping the beginning of "Not Human" to unfold. 

Of all my stories, this one is the darkest.  I hadn't thought so when I wrote it, nor after I re-read it again and again.  In fact, it wasn't until last fall. (Yes, I was reading it again.  I love the story, and when I love a story I always go back and read the book again - which is something that happens with every book I've published.)  When I finished, I looked at my daughter and said "that's a dark story."  She stared back at me and replied, "You didn't think so before?" and I shook my head.  I really hadn't.   It was at the top of my favorites, still is.  Which is strange because it definitely has a Dystopian feel to it.  My daughter insists that it is Dystopian.  To me it's just another story that I wrote that I like to read.  Although, I have to admit she's right - by definition Dystopian is: relating to or denoting an imagined state or society where there is great suffering or injustice.  And there is definitely suffering and injustice in this book.  However, to me, "Not Human" is a story of hope.

Another thing about writing "Not Human" is that it was highly influenced by Tai Chi.  While this story was finding its voice, the images would surface while I was practicing Tai Chi.  A lot of what I was learning integrated itself into the story, both the martial art and the meditation.  I had only been practicing about three years which is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but my mind was heard the whispers of the possibilities, the depths of the discipline, and the strength found in the energy that flows and connects while practicing.    

Music?  Yes, music had a part in the writing of this book.  One song in particular, but it came later.  I had already started writing "Not Human", and I was in the car listening to the radio when "Far Away", by Nickleback came on.  The song was only a few lines in when an image played out.  The feelings which were evoked by the scene allowed me to never lose sight of where this story was going, it became the shining light of hope.  Every time I hear "Far Way", even if it's just a piece of it, my soul connects to the heart of the story - and most times it makes me want to read the book again.
 

No comments: