My Stories

I write adventures for those in search of a good story. My novels fall in the Fantasy genre, but many people consider them Sci-fi too. Each story is written with what I look for when I read a book: action, adventure, twists and turns, love, heroes, vicious enemies, fighting (weapons and hand to hand combat). I write because I want to share the stories that are inside of me. I hope you enjoy the adventures as much as I love writing them!

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Music for a scene in Solace: Lost

As I said last month, music did have an impact on a couple of scenes in "Solace Lost".

In an important scene in the story, I was stuck.  I had "Lost" written up to a point near the end and I had the end completed, which means there was a bridge that I needed to write. I call it a bridge, because I need to get from one place to another where clearly something is missing - there is a gap.   Anyways, the bridge I had to write eluded me, and it drove me crazy.  I knew what I wanted to happen in that scene, but I could not see it clearly.  It took a few days before it dawned on me that I should put some music on.  Yep, that was all it took.  Once I found the right combination of songs, it didn't take me long to put the scene into words.  The songs I played over and over to write it were:

  • "Smack my Bitch Up", by Prodigy  
  • "Killing in the name of", by Rage against the Machine
  • "Whatever", by Godsmack
  • "Bodies", by Drowning Pool
  • "Living Dead Girl", Rob Zombie

Yes, the scene is a fight scene.    The Prodigy song was probably reeated the most because of the way the song slowly and picks back up...  it helped make the sunset and its affect on Karissa much more vivid. I'd love to tell you about it, but I don't want to spoil it.  I think by the time the reader gets to this part of the story, maybe even before, they are wanting this battle. 

No comments: